Every brand becomes successful through its genius strategies to get its name out there. The marketing strategies of KFC are what got it to the place it is today. In 2021, KFC’s success was evident through its revenue of around 2.79 billion USD. Any business leader can learn from the company by studying its strategies.
Regardless if you are an entrepreneur or not, this article will definitely inspire more excellent thinking. If anything, you will have something to think about next time you are having a scrumptious meal at KFC. Read on as we investigate what marketing strategies KFC uses to succeed.
Table of Contents
Why Do You Need to Learn Marketing Strategies From KFC?
You might need to learn the marketing strategies of KFC. For example:
- If you are an entrepreneur and you want to start your own business, you might want to learn marketing strategies from KFC to help you get started.
- KFC needs suppliers. So, if you want to supply a product to KFC, it might help to understand their perspective.
- As a restaurant chain in business for over 60 years, KFC knows a thing or two about marketing.
- We are entering a time crucial for e-commerce marketing and digital transformation, and we are seeing chances that weren’t there just a few years ago.
- Moreover, the rivalry in today’s times is intense. Be unique from the competition by studying the KFC success story.
The Marketing Strategies Of KFC
A strong brand is crucial in a competitive market. KFC is known worldwide for its delicious fried chicken, and the company’s branding helps them stand out from its competitors. To achieve this:
- KFC has used several marketing campaigns to promote its brand and products over the years. These campaigns have cemented it as a household name.
- Back in 1970, Colonel Sanders became the face of the company, and since then, it has used that same face as its logo. This makes the brand instantly recognizable.
- Since then, the company has also created slogans that tie in with the brand. We all love the phrase, “It’s Finger-Lickin’ Good!”
- Accordingly, KFC advertises the phrase and the face by putting it on everything from billboards to TV to social media.
That is one of the marketing strategies of KFC to get authority and recognition for its brand name.
Advertising and Marketing Collateral
Undoubtedly, the company spends a fortune on marketing. The best of the best marketers with proven track records are hired to provide constant success to the company. Consequently, this ensures that the company always looks professional and lends an air of exclusivity to the brand.
- KFC’s ads are engaging and entertaining to the consumer.
- They also rope in the customer and engage them to take action.
- The idea should be simple, memorable, or startling… It should also relate to some positive emotion.
- The ad presents a situation in the best possible light. You can learn from this and understand that every bad situation can be presented more pleasingly.
Every time you see a KFC ad, it has an aura of deliciousness. The food is continuously steaming. The family near the food is always having a happy, memorable moment, too. This prompts you to consider placing an order with the business for meals so that you might also experience that joy. The appeal of these ads is what sets them apart from other brands.
A live example of their Ingenious Marketing
In 2018, KFC UK ran out of chicken, and the company ran a full-page ad in The Times reading “FCK” as an apology for the mistake. This incident got worldwide attention, and the ad was hailed as “one of the best examples of an advert that has achieved worldwide recognition.”
The main idea behind this campaign was that the general public would not expect the company to say “FCK” instead of its usual tagline. As a result, most people loved the concept and saw it as a fun way to reach out to their customers and tell them about the product shortage. The company’s YouTube channel also posted videos parodying its own commercial with a famous Hollywood star, which received a lot of views and appreciation from viewers.
Another key point is that KFC relies on direct marketing to reach out to its target market. They use a variety of methods, such as direct mail, telemarketing, and email marketing. This is one of the top marketing strategies of KFC.
Direct mail is one of the most common methods used by the fast-food giant. They send out letters and packages to their target market. These packages can include coupons, promotional items, or even free meals.
They use these letters to advertise their menu and offer coupons to potential customers. Similarly, they also include promotional information to encourage consumers to visit their restaurants. For example, if they offer free meals for children during special holidays, they’ll make sure their customers know about it.
The Take-Away. (Pun intended)
What we can learn from the marketing strategies of KFC is that they are undoubtedly creative. They engage in every marketing trick in the book, and then they supplement the book with their own experience. Plus, their product is just so good that you can’t help but be drawn to it. The smell, the ambiance, and the experience of eating there are masterfully included in all their ads.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is KFC doing right?
A lot. The food is delicious, and the marketing strategies of KFC are phenomenal. The company knows how to capture the attention of its target demographic. They know how to keep them coming back for more. Plus, they have a lot of brand loyalty and are one of the favorite fast-food restaurants among most customers.
What other brands can you learn marketing strategies from?
Pepsi and McDonald’s -- Their approach toward social media marketing is innovative and creative. They know how to engage with their audience and how they can help them build a strong brand.
How does KFC get an edge over its competition?
By providing quality food at a very affordable price point, they attract a lot of people to their business. Additionally, they also have a wide variety of options to choose from for their dishes. Plus, KFC’s food is way better than its competitors.
The marketing strategies of KFC capitalize on entertainment and make you feel as if you are a part of its ads. Their goal is to capture your attention and get you to consider what it might be like to have that meal delivered to your doorstep. The KFC success story is all thanks to them connecting with customers and making them feel appreciated. They utilize multiple channels of marketing to reach their target customers. KFC’s marketing helps them grow their brand, gain exposure, and remain competitive in their industry. There’s undoubtedly a lot we can learn from them.